Friday, April 21, 2006

One of the gayest things ever...

I have a running list of activities I would like to do. Each year, as it begins, I write out things I haven't done that I would like to try to accomplish. This year's list is quite extensive and more keeps getting added on as the days go by and ideas creep into my head.

So, for example, this year I proposed to go to the gym and to lose weight. Both are being accomplished, I have lost 15 lbs since January 1 and have been keeping regularly scheduled appointments with the trainer.

In addition, I penciled in the following activities: learn to scuba dive, learn to sky dive, do bungee jumping, go to a shooting range, try a cheese tasting at Artisanal, take up Tae Kwon Do again. So far this year, I already learned, and got certified in, scuba diving. Yippee! Any divers out there?

I did that back in March, took a week off and went to Grand Cayman. It was a fabulous trip, ate like a king (lost one pound though!) and learned to Scuba. The experience was amazing and I am glad I finally did it. Plus, I do feel proud of myself for setting a goal and accomplishing it. That, and I have opened up new horizons.

A couple of years ago, I took a wine tasting class (quite lengthy, it was an eight-installment course, two hours each installment). I met my dear friend L.C. at that course!

So, my list for this year has shortened since I have checked off Scuba Diving. Instead of now concentrating on the additional activities I have set up for myself, yesterday, as I was reading TimeOut, I read an article on p 56 of this week's edition (551) on "Zen and the art of flower arranging". Now, I am adding it to the list. Now remember, it is a running list and I can (and have) carried activities over to the following year. But the thought of actually learning to make a floral arrangement for my home is something I think would be novel and calming at the same time.

It is, however, one of the gayest things ever, but maybe it will be a venue for a creative side in me I don't know exists?

A.B.

1 comment:

tim said...

Cheese tasting at Artisinal if easy and fun. Just go to the bar and order from their array of wines and a plate of cheese. I love it. Or, you could stop by Whole Foods and buy some cheeses. It's cheaper and if you ask the nice Asian guy in Grocery, who used to work in Cheese, for help, he can give you some good suggestions.