Sunday, October 09, 2005

Scheduling versus Spontaneity

This has been one of those calmer weekends where plans for better or for worse fell through and those that were not made in advance turned out to be splendid. I wonder at times whether I should force tradition and schedule out much รก la New York way -- planning out for weeks in advance. I am much more married to the notion that spontaneity brings more pleasure and ultimately makes activities much more enjoyable. But, given my spontaneity, or desire therefor, this weekend was not as active as may have possibly have been had I planned ahead of time.

Friday I stayed home and finally forced myself out to a bar. I had been waiting for the call that had been promised to me via e-mail on Friday morning from this guy. That call never came and I was disappointed. Serves me right though for putting stock in others. I don't get guys like that.

In any event, Saturday was much the same. I called friends and, of course, they all already had plans (made weeks in advance) to do this or that. I went shopping on Saturday. I needed a dishdrainer from Williams & Sonoma and ended up buying a nice pair of To Boot Adam Derrick shoes which made my day. My sourpuss mood dissipated instantaneously both at the bargain the shoes were and how great the looked (on me!). I felt so much like Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City with a pair of Manolos. I was in heaven. I bought some other things at Bed Bath & Beyond (so many gay people there, unfortunately, all partnered or what seemed like partnered) and then decided to sit down at the 24 Diner and have a late lunch. I pulled out my book and ordered. There was something nice about sitting down on my own and having lunch: I observed passersby and also had a chance to ponder things over about my life, job, etc. It was good.

I also went and saw a movie, which brought another smile to my face, Wallace & Gromit The Curse of the Were-Rabbit which is a riot of a playmation movie. If you aren't familiar with Wallace & Gromit, get thee to a DVD store and buy the first three movies. They are sweet and innocent but, at the same time, quirky and piquant. I laughed endlessly and the man in front of me guffawed purposely showing how un-entertaining my movie was. I wanted to slap him silly. Interestingly enough, his friends were enjoying the movie as well.

Today Sunday, my dog needed a bath, so I arranged for a visit to the groomer. In the meantime, I had brunch with my friend C.C., her dad and our friend T.H. and then went window shopping in the Meat Packing District. BTW, brunch at One Little West 12th is quite nice and decently priced.

Now, I am home, ready to rest from what feels like an oddly tiring weekend in which I didn't really do much and preparing to go out to XES to watch Desperate Housewives.

Ah, the simple things in life. Maybe being spontaneous is better. I am exhausted!

A.B.

1 comment:

tim said...

After 13 years of living in NYC, I find that planning things out weeks in advance is way too contrived and never ever anywhere near the fun of flying by the seat of your pants. Glad you had a great weekend.