Thursday, October 13, 2005

Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself

I have invited two couples, friends of mine, to dinner in a couple of weeks. I will be cooking a meal and look forward to doing so with slight anxiety. The task of pleasing guests is foreboding to me because I believe that part of the art of entertaining is seamlessness and a feeling of ease throughout the experience. A lot of effort is required to orchestrate seamlessness and ease in an inviting and pleasurable environment. And that is the root of my slight anxiety.

Cooking itself is a therapeutic activity. I usually start off my day by going shopping to get all my ingredients fresh. About 5 hours prior to arrival, I begin preparations by opening a bottle of wine and starting the cooking. The wine really helps to relax and enjoy the cooking. Plus, my dog is always there to accompany (and catch anything that might inadvertently fall to within his reach).

I am thrilled at the prospect of having a delightful evening at home with close friendsand am looking forward to having my friends over. H.P. is invited with his partner and L.M. with his partner. This is the first time I am cooking a meal for them. It will be a Mexican feast.

I've decided to make my purchases at what I now call the Museum of Food: WholeFoodsTM. That alone is quite a trip/tour and I hope not to get too distracted looking at all the shiny things. I have scoped out fresh tortillas in the city (made of white corn and of blue corn) and will be making some real quesdillas and guacamole. Dinner will be refried beans (bayos), arroz a la mexicana and some mole poblano (inappropriately referred to as the "chocolate sauce") over chicken. Mole is more than a chocolate sauce. It is a complex and rich admixture of native (to Mexico) ingredients laboriously combined to render a velvety sauce with hints of peanut and sesame, chocolate and banana, and chiles, all paired with juicy chicken (or turkey). I can't wait to share this with them. And, of course, a bottle of my Vouvray to start, followed by some Monte Xanic Merlot or Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon mix from Mexico.

I think that what I like most about having friends over is that I have an opportunity to share a part of my history, my culture and gastronomical background and, at the same time, enjoy their wonderful company. I wish I were able to entertain more frequently as an enriching and gratifying time is always had.

In a very dallowayesque manner, I have selected the flowers I will be purchasing the day of the dinner; White Lilies instead of the traditional Mexican Calla Lilly. They are beautifully white and elegant.

A.B.

3 comments:

tim said...

Wow, Museum of Food... I'll have to share that wit my coworkers. They will get a kick out of that. Which Whole Foods are you planning on visiting?

Anono.Blogger said...

It is a Museum of Food... everything is shiny and glittery and so perfectly placed one feels like in a Museum. You know, fearful of touching something and destroying it.

I go to the WF in Union Square but am waiting for the one on Bowery to open up. Any news when they will open?

A.B.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Dalloway would be proud of you Gay Man... ps, in the words of Madonna: "I Love New York."