Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Gym Adventures

I ran to the gym last night after work. I really needed to get a good work out in and exhaust myself. I arrived around 7.40 p.m., changed into my gym clothes and then headed downstairs to the free weights. I went through my work out and glanced around the gym as I did. I wrapped up my workout with a 10 minute run on the elliptical and then headed for the steam room and shower.

I went to the steam room and sat down. There were three other people there, so I found a spot and sat down. I saw that one of the guys was sitting in a rather "suggestive" fashion and didn't really pay too much more attention to him. After a bit, he got up, stepped out of the steam room, and walked into the one shower stall that has a curtain. Shortly after, another guy gets up, steps out and heads toward the same shower stall.

Now, mind you. I don't consider myself a prude. But, at the same time, I know and feel that there is a time and a place for everything. And the gym (at least this type of gym) is not the right place to engage in sexual activity (hetero, homo or otherwise). I stepped out of the steam room some 10 minutes later. The gentleman who cleans the gym walked towards the shower area and I told him that I believed there were two guys in the shower stall. He asked if I was sure, and I said that I believed that there were two guys there. As he was about to pull the curtain to one side, one of the guys pulled the curtain open in a very discreet manner, and, as he stepped out, saw the janitor and me standing there. Case closed.

I stepped into a stall, showered and a couple of minutes later the other guy stepped out from his curtained stall and went into a glass shower stall.

I finished showering and headed to the dry area to get dressed. Both guys were behind me, a couple of lockers down. Completely uncomfortable.

They left before I did and as I headed down, the janitor asked that I check with the front desk before I left. I walked downstairs and the two guys were at the front desk. I asked someone at the desk who I should speak to and they asked me to please step into one of the offices. I did and informed them what I had seen. They said that the two guys' membership was being revoked. I told them that as a gay man, I'm not appalled by sex, but that I thought that was not the place.

Now, you might think I'm a prude or I am on some high horse. The fact is, one these guys has done this and many other things at the gym. I've seen him masturbate, postrate and conduct himself in a manner that makes me uncomfortable both at this location and at the other location I go to. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Plus, I don't plan on walking on someone's spunk while I'm at the gym. And now, I have to go buy flip flops, which I should have probably done before.

So, my friends say I'm an asshole. What would you have done?

A.B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha - are you for real? sounds disgusting but it's not such a big deal after all