Monday, November 20, 2006

Cupcake Guy

I received an e-mail from cupcake guy on Friday. Truthfully, I appreciate his clarity and only question the means of communication. He and I didn't exchange e-mail addresses or communicate via e-mail, so the fact that he searched for my e-mail address on my firm's website or otherwise and sent me an e-mail shows an uneasiness to talk face to face or over the phone about something that may not be easy.

The e-mail follows:

Hi A.B.,

So sorry to be awol this week. Has been a busy [...]. Got your voicemail though and I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to respond.

I had a great time as well Friday night. Would definitely be up for getting together again though I think I’d probably be more on the “just friends” track. I enjoyed your company though so if that’s ok with you let me know. The next couple of weeks are crazy b/t [...]. But maybe we can grab a drink (which may turn into dinner) after I
return?

Hope you’ve had a good weekend and have a great weekend planned (I think this is the dinner party weekend, right?). Good luck if so!

Cupcake Guy

I responded and let him know that "just friends" is fine. I'm always hesitant about these things because to me friendships require efforts, like any relationship. And knowing of someone's existence on Earth doesn't amount to a "friendship".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always difficult to be "just friends" after you have gone on a date thinking that it could turn out to be something fruitful. You can be friends with people with whom you start out as friends not with whom you go on a date. Becoz feelings can always get mixed up. I don't know. That's just me. And what u said about people not replying to your texts, not answering to your voice mails... Right now I am kinda going through that phase but I have kinda given up (I haven't texted him for 3 days now and it's hard). I am quite like you becoz I am impulsive and I give it my all from the word go but I guess it doesn't work that way. I guess I am naive. I haven't had a proper relationship yet ( I am just 25). So I guess I've got a long way to go.

- And Indian guy from across the Atlantic

TCho said...

i think it just depends on your feelings. if you're still hoping for more than "just friends", it probably isn't a good idea to hang out with this guy. at least, that's my opinion.

tim said...

I agree with TCho. If you are wishing for more than just friends with him, then hanging out may not be the best idea. Maybe you should hang out but more in a group than just the two of you.

Oh, and how was the dinner that you made? Hope you got all you needed at Whole Foods.

Anono.Blogger said...

There aren't any feelings, because I didn't really get to know these guys well. It's just that I feel I don't stand a chance from the get-go. One after another, "let's be friends" just starts to make me feel like something is wrong with me.
A.B.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with you. Or maybe there is 'coz in the gay community, being normal is wrong.

An Indian guy from across the Atlantic

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Friendships take effort, like any relationship. You have to nurture it and grow it. If wanted to put some effort into a friendship with you, he would have simply called and not gone through the hassle of looking up your work email. In a friendship or a relationship, you want the whole loaf, not just half of it. Fun blog by the way. :)