Saturday, January 27, 2007

Day # 3 and others...

A week ago, I went to my doctor. I told him I needed to stop smoking. I had increased my vice to a pack a day of Marlboro Ultra Lights and hated myself for it. It's such a disgusting vice, but I couldn't help myself. Smoking was relaxing, de-stressing, escapist. I had quit in January 2001 with the help of my acupuncturist back home. In one session, I quit. I didn't pick up a cigarette for 4 1/2 years. When I hit stressful times, I began smoking again.

On January 17, my doctor prescribed a medication, to be taken once daily for five days, the doubled for two additional days, followed by the same dosis and the use of the nicotine 21 mg patch. I will be seeing him on February 12 for a follow up.

Today is my third day of the patch, and though I have hung in there and made every effort to not smoke, I continue to have the urge. I have fought it, but still feel the desire. But I will NOT smoke.

Today, I bumped into R.G. in the locker room at the gym. For the first time since we stopped dating, I was able to speak to him without feeling any pangs. We had a brief conversation about my job switch, his work travels and said goodbye. I was completely nervous because I had lost my nicotine patch on the gym floor (it was inside my book) and he said, you seem to be in a hurry. I told him that I had lost something and was concerned. I said goodbye, went to the gym floor, found the patch and, as I was coming downstairs, saw him again and just said that I had found it.

After that, I put the damned thing on, ran to order flowers for three partners at my firm, as a goodbye and thank you token and had brunch with a friend and former colleague, P.B. We went to Extra Virgin. I ate the ultra-decadent french toast and told him the saga of my departure. We finished brunch and said our goodbyes and I ran to an appointment to see three apartments for sale in the Village. I may place an offer on one on Monday.

After that, I came home, rested and looked up mortgage rates, calculators and the like and then ran to a birthday celebration at Sala for a friend. I drank too much Sangria and came home to walk my dog and write this.

Long day! Tomorrow I will take it easy and then go to L.C. apartment for dinner and Desperate Housewives.

A.B.

2 comments:

tim said...

Best of luck on the quitting... it can be done... my partner has been off for a year and four months now. Also, where is Extra Virgin?

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Cheering you on with the nicotine thing!