Monday, December 11, 2006

Sunday

It was 12 pm, and I thought it was time to call W.W. and I held back. I didn't want to appear to over-anxious which, with me, is always a challenge. I don't hold back and have been trying to maintain some form of equilibrium when it comes to dating.

I stepped out of my apartment to run some errands and then, at 12.50 pm called him. As he picked up he said he was just text messaging me (ugh). We agreed to meet at 3 pm in Union Square and then head up to the museum.

I quickly grabbed breakfast at Jerry's in Soho. I had some french toast with strawberries and bananas, and coffee. After that, I stopped by Paul Smith, Moss and Alessi, and then headed home. I took a quick nap, walked my pooch and then headed to Union Square.

W.W. was running 10 minutes late and I got stuck in the 6 train for a good 10 minutes due to some malfunction on the 4/5 line. So, we met at about 3.15 pm at the holiday market.

We took the 6 train uptown and ended up walking in the wrong direction. As we realized this, I saw La Maison du Chocolat and asked him if he would like some hot chocolate. He said yes and we walked in. We ordered and W.W. said he would get it. I balked as the gentleman rang us up, $18 for two small hot chocolates. I apologized to W.W.. He laughed and we drank merrily as we walked down to the Museum.

The exhibit was very interesting, though I focused much more on the Picassos and the Lichtensteins than on anything else. It was quite an interesting collection of varying artists with a common theme and, in some instances, reinterpretations of Picasso's works. We had a lengthy discussion about copyright and appropriation in the art world and came out on different sides of that discussion, which I thought was good. Differing views always lead to interesting conversations.

After that we saw the Kiki Smith exhibit, which W.W. found slightly disturbing and that I enjoyed a little more.

We grabbed a cab and headed over to L.C.'s for the party. We tried to find something to bring along, but all the liquor stores were closed. L.C. opened the door and greeted us with great big hugs. We stepped in and were received with two glasses of champagne.

We continued our conversation, met some people and spoke with them, had some great food (a triple cream from Coach Farms, one of L.C.'s and my favorites); some amazing manchego; a delightful fig compote to pair; brownies with fresh fruit and other marvels.

At about 8 pm, W.W. said he had to leave to take care of some work. He left and I stayed longer to spend time with L.C. At 10 pm I text messaged him with what I believed to be the answer to a question that we had lingering (an impressionist artist whose work had been exhibited at the Met that at the end of his life used torn fabrics to make artwork: Matisse) and got a response (Yes!). I went home just thinking that W.W. is a really nice person and hope he thinks the same of me; and that maybe, he will want to go out again with me.

A.B.

2 comments:

TCho said...

Omg. $18 for two hot chocolates! Maison Du Chocolat is good, but not that good.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sounds like a great date!!

My rules for a date: Just have fun. Be honest. Listen well. And... All you have to know after one date is if you want to have another date...

Keep us posted!