Monday, December 11, 2006

Friday's Dinner

I had dinner on Friday with the guy (W.W.) I met at 'Toys for Tots' on Sunday. We had followed the event with dinner at Sueños and had a very nice time. Those occasions when conversation flows and silences are not awkward, but rather meaningful.

We arranged to meet Friday at 9 pm for dinner at The Tasting Room. I arrived a couple of minutes late and W.W. was already there. I smiled as I walked in and saw him. He was very handsome. Strangely, he wore a white shirt with diagonally crossing blue lines and a navy jacket, with jeans. I was wearing a white shirt with diagonally crossing blue and brown lines and a chocolate brown velvet dinner jacket, with jeans. I commented on our attire. We were informed our table wouldn't be ready, that the restaurant was running slightly behind schedule and were invited to the bar. As we were about to order a drink, the hostess offered us a complementary glass of sparkling white wine which we readily accepted.

We began talking about his office holiday party the evening before and were seated 15 minutes later. As it was his first time at the restaurant, I suggested he order dinner and that I would take care of the wine. He ordered our dinner and I the wine. And the conversation continued. Midway through dinner I asked him what he had planned for the weekend and he said he was going to go on Sunday to the Whitney, as he an interest in seeing the Picasso and American Art exhibit. I told him I thought that it should be an interesting exhibit, that the Whitney has always been a favorite of mine and then if he would like to go together. As I said it, I felt like a dunce, inviting myself to something he had plans to do. He immediately said that it would be great, quelling my minor anxiety. I told him that that afternoon, my friend L.C. would be hosting a holiday party and if he would like to accompany afterwards to the party. He accepted.

We finished dinner, and the last of our Oregonian Pinot Noir and left the restaurant. As we walked, we had that sensation of not wanting the evening to be over but, at the same time, not wanting to over do it. As we stood on the corner of Elizabeth and Houston, I told him I needed some coffee. I suggested we go to a coffee shop nearby which turned out to be closed. I then offered going back to my apartment, and that I could make coffee. He said yes.

We bought some milk on the way and headed up to my apartment. I took his coat, hung it up and proceeded to make coffee. We sat down, continued our conversation and then he lay his head on my lap. I played with his hair a little bit and we kissed. After an hour of conversation and a little flirting, he headed home.

I bade him farewell and began looking forward to Sunday.

A.B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful it seems. Good luck with WW