Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Globalization... of Stereotypes

I have dual citizenship. My parents, both foreign nationals (of the same country) were living in the United States when I, and my siblings, were born. Hence, we carry dual citizenship status. I was raised here as a child and subsequently moved back to our home country. I was raised there and went on to finish elementary and high school, and obtain my college degree. After working several years in Mexico, I moved to New York to pursue another degree and then began working in New York.

My mom is visiting this week from home and today, we had lunch at Chop't, a salad place near my office. The people that work behind the counter are, in their majority, from my home country. They overheard my mother and me speaking in our native language and asked where we were from, when we told them they were surprised and said we didn't look like we were from there, we were too well dressed.

This evening, as I was walking my little dog, I told him to come along in my native language. Someone overheard me and asked if I was from a European country. When I responded that I was from my home country, he said that I looked too white to be from there.

These small encounters always irk me. To think that everyone from an Asian country should have certain characteristics, or to think the same of someone from an African nation, denotes ignorance in my mind. It is the globalization of stereotypes.

It bothers me further that I must "defend" my heritage to a stranger because of his or her ignorance: yep, I really am from there; nope, it is quite diverse despite your misconceptions; etc.

This happens to me more frequently than not. I wonder if people ever stop to consider that questions like that may be offensive to the recipient, especially in a city like New York that is so inherently cosmopolitan.

A.B.

2 comments:

tim said...

Despite what people claim, there is little to no sensitivity in this world... especially in NYC considering how diverse it is. Assumptions are made constantly without any pause. I always think about what I am about to ask... it may take a split second but I am sensitive to how it may be taken.

Being Filipino, most assume that my sphere of knowledge only covers fashion, white men, and television. I get insensitive questions asked so often that I have just started pointing out the absurdity of them. Try doing that. If they act surprised that you are from Mexico, then just say, ask them why and point out their stupidity. Works for me.

TCho said...

Oh I have so many "Crash" moments in my life that I could tell. The worst is around Chinese New Years when everyone wishes me Happy New Year and I have no idea what they're talking about (I'm korean.). another funny one is when I go into a livery car, and if get a driver who asks me if I speak Korean, I say "no, chinese" and vice-versa. I suppose that doesn't really have anything to do with ethnicity. I just don't feel like talking to the driver. lol.