Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Dating (or going out?)... argh!

Dating in New York baffles me. It is not only the uncertainties and insecurities of becoming acquainted with a new person (those are par for the course in any dating scenario), but, more importantly, our respective approaches to dating.

Case in point: I have been seeing a couple of people, but one really piques my interest. We have gone out some four times and, yes, had sex. We speak on the phone infrequently in my view but, when we do, we have an interesting conversation and it seems to me he is interested. His actions denote otherwise as we have seen each other once a week at most, and not on a Friday or Saturday. There is too, a perceived elusiveness. Calls go to voicemail and then are returned some hours or a day later.

My natural reaction is to ask straight (no pun intended) out whether he's interested in me (without labeling what that interest may be), but this approach has not been well received in the past: guys scram. This is not an invitation to a commitment ceremony, or Massachussets for that matter, but a desire for open communication. On the other hand, not doing anything may be perceived as a lack of interest on my part.

So, the invitation to dinner for Saturday extended on Monday has gone unanswered, the Wednesday follow-up call has not been returned and I fear that I may have my "unofficial" answer.

I hate dating woes. Argh!

A.B.

No comments: