Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Politeness is benevolence in small things

Another M.I. anecdote for the blogger annals. So this time, M.I. actually calls me, out of the blue on a Sunday afternoon. My first gut reaction was that it was a booty call. I was angry at myself for thinking that so casually.

Our conversation lasted about 10 minutes with the routine "how have you been", "how's work", etc. He concluded the call with a suggestion to get together for a drink during the course of the following week.

I made the mistake of calling him a couple of days later to follow-up. I thought, why not give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he is genuinely interested in getting to know me (on whichever basis that may be). Of course, I got his voicemail again and left a succinct message.

Since that Sunday call, I haven't heard from M.I.

I have been in situations before where I would much prefer to allow someone's messages to go unanswered, eschew them in hopes a need to address them never arises. I think I have realized that my conduct can be hurtful too and try (I said try) to avoid it. So, as a general rule, I try to respond to voice mail, text messages and e-mails promptly. Even if I would prefer to evade my overwhelming obligation to be polite, I do it, precisely out of politeness and decorum. It is disappointing to me that others do not feel the same way.

I am no longer hurt or worried by M.I.'s actions; I think time has aided me in realizing that I shouldn't give someone power over me and that control to prey on my insecurities or desires perhaps. I think that, again, I feel an enormous disappointment for the class of person's I have allowed myself to be associated with and, on occasion, encouraged or fostered those acquaintances.

No more. I have promised myself not to contact M.I. again. I mean it this time.

A.B.

No comments: