Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Mommy dearest

My mother visited for a week last week and I love my mom to death but 10 days is a lengthy stay. Towards the end, I was counting the minutes.

However, we did have a splendid time. I was able to take a week off of work (only to have to come into work two days in the middle, how rotten) to be with her.

I rented a Zipcar for the first time... there is an innate sense of freedom in driving that is indescribable. For those that do not know (yet), Zipcar is this fabulous new service where you register as a member and rent cars, by the hour or per day, and pick them up at strategically placed parking lots throughout the city. For most New Yorkers, having a car is unessential to day to day living. Anyhow, I rented one and took my mother to, where else, Woodbury Commons. The drive was soothing and, even though we got lost, relaxing. (FYI, MapQuest sounds great in theory).

In addition to a wonderful time during her stay, nice dinners alone and with my friends, my mom showed me once again how much she loves me. She accompanied me here to see Desperate Housewives. Reminiscent of this evening, and despite my mom's complete adamance towards loud and boisterous venues, she pulled through and drank her diet cokes.

I will admit I was the one with palpitations. It was joyous to feel her support once more; at the same time, I felt enormous stress as I walked in. My immediate thoughts were "oh my God, people are going to think I am such a geek". Alas, my nerves were quelled as I thought, "perhaps, perhaps not".

Mom and I had a fantastic time and enjoyed the show and she got to meet a couple of my acquaintances.

Now, I miss my mom.

A.B.

P.S. If you know how to avoid comment-spammers, please e-mail me here, as you can tell, I am sort of new at this.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love this blog!!!!!! though I'm like 6 years late.... I really hope u still post....