Thursday, July 14, 2005

Oblivion

M.I. has become obsolete. We had a talk over dinner and was informed that his life is just too complicated at the moment to even contemplate anything remotely serious.

So, aside from thinking that that was a cop out and writing him off ipso facto, the guy called me a week later to see what was up and to say we should get together. Color me stupid please, now. If your life is too complicated, why would you continue seeing a person that (i) makes your life complicated, and (ii) reminds you that your life is complicated?

I am realizing that we are complex creatures (and I have realized this before, but I just keep forgetting the lesson learned) and we fear being too honest. My friend H.P. says that this guy just doesn't want to be portrayed as a 'bad guy' and thus resorts to the "my life is complicated" line. It is like game theory, a no-lose situation. I'm not 'hurt', he isn't evil. Well, that is skewed logic, because it ultimately fails to address that lack of honesty is, too, hurtful.

Anyhow, enough of that. I am moving on and should have time ago. Again, another experience, not a great one, but an experience nonetheless. Perhaps this guy will someday realize that I'm not only handsome, professional, intelligent and adored by mothers everywhere, but also, a decent human being.

A.B.

No comments: