Friday, March 23, 2007

Th@T

Therapy (both individual and group) has helped shed much light on my thought processes. To explore one's upbringing and reactions to understand the why's and what's of our lives is challenging, saddening, difficult and revelatory.

My latest revelation, if we can call it that, was realizing that I am my own worst critic in a very unhealthy manner. I have always thought that the ability to be self-critical (in general) is an important trait, almost a virtue. To be able to look at oneself from the outside and judge (objectively, kindly) is a conscious act; to do so is to affirmatively want to better oneself.

In my case, however, I have taken this ability to be self-critical to new dimensions. And therapy has begun to show me this. What others see as accomplishments and goals to be proud of, I see as mere completion of tasks. Be first in class, check. Get scholarship, check. Move to New York, check. Finish studies, check. Get job at New York law firm, check. Lose 40 lbs, check. Buy apartment, check. Tasks, not accomplishments. The satisfaction attained is minimal because I have viewed these things as a duty not a goal; there is no pride or joy associated. Quite grim. Furthermore, once finished, I look back only to think that I didn't do it right, that the act of finishing it wasn't gargantuan or special or praiseworthy, it could have been done better, quicker.

Through my sessions it has become apparent that these "duties" others see as accomplishments (magnificent or minute, regardless) that I should stop to enjoy. My immediate reaction to finishing something is to look and see what is next on the list and to begin to fret about it and plan around it.

So, lately, I've been trying to stop, think and smile. I stop from my activities, think about something I've done and smile about it. It sounds lame, sometimes it feels artificial, but pausing to ponder about something, like my apartment, or my new job, makes it worthy.

A.B.

6 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

good for you! that's quite a list of accomplishments you've wracked up!
nice blog btw

Ming the Merciless said...

I totally get you!!!

I went through all the "tasks" you mentioned. I finished my PhD, got a job, bought an apartment, etc. and now I feel lost. I spent so much time checking things off my duty list that I forgot to ask what I want for myself.

I'm slowly learning to explore my own interests. Photography is one of them.

Anyway, enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

"tasks, not accomplishments". amazing. hope you write more frequently! best with the new home and job both.

JibaritoUrbano said...

I just wanted to say that I thoroughly appreciated your blog entry. Although your list of accomplishments are yours, I have a similar one and I too feel that I don't stop to smell the coffee at times. It smells great, doesn't it? I especially appreciate your open attitude about being in therapy- mental health is soooooooooo important, and not taken seriously enough in American culture. I too have been seeing a therapist- I just feel like if you're going to be openly gay in NYC you HAVE to have a professional to talk to about your issues because it's the only way to enjoy a healthy life.

Thank you again for your blog entry.

From one New Yorker to another,
JibaritoUrbano

TCho said...

Whoa. 40 pounds? that's a lot! good job!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Happy Easter from Cologne. I guess I know how you feel. I did therapy by myself but that wasn´t a thing for me. However, each individum should do what is necessary for him/her self. And if you find your way: Congratulations! BTW, I always try to loose weight...believe me..since I went 12 or so..

And...Therapy as a group is not my music except one song - DIANE - very bad story but very strong feelings.